Thursday, July 9, 2009

Veterans News,,Good Job VA

VA’s Suicide Prevention Lifeline continues to save lives as the1-800-273-TALK national phone number is featured in public service television and transit ads across the country. The Lifeline number just began its ride on more than 21,000 city buses in 124 communities across the United States this summer and that transit ad program has already paid off. The VA Suicide Prevention Lifeline call center in Canandaigua, NY, reported a call from an “acutely suicidal” veteran in Houston, Texas, “with the plan, means, and intent to act” shortly after the bus ads appeared there. He saw the bus ad and called in desperation. Later, he called back to the Lifeline center to thank the social worker he reached, saying: “She took the time to listen to me and everything I needed to get out. I felt I had lost everything and had nothing. She helped me see I can turn things around. She gave me hope. The suicidal thoughts are gone and I’m on my way to the VA for the help I need. I want to thank you all for being there for us for saving my life yesterday.” Since its inception in July 2007, the VA Suicide Prevention Lifeline has rescued more than 3,000 veterans and provided counseling for more than 120,000 veterans and their loved ones at home and overseas. The lifeline is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week by trained mental health professionals prepared to deal with immediate crises.

No comments:

Post a Comment